What is Lyrical Dance?
An expressive form of dance that incorporates a fusion of ballet and jazz dance styles. Many times, this style tells a story through choreography and dance phrases inspired by the lyrics of the song being used. Dancers are encouraged to explore their emotions and movement through improvisation. A strong ballet and jazz foundation enhances the quality of movement.
Benefits of Lyrical Dance
- Expressive and emotional outlet
- Body and spacial awareness
What to wear?
- Lycra fitted jazz shorts
- Fitted top, tank, or half top
- Ballet slippers (ages 8-10) and Twyla’s (1/2 ballet slippers – ages 10 and up)
- Hair pulled back from face and neck