What is Contemporary Dance?
Contemporary is a style of dance where students will push themselves mentally and
physically to execute movement that is complex, intricate, and dynamic. Contemporary
also encourages dancers to explore all the ways their bodies are capable of moving with
a focus on finding the intention behind each movement. This class is offered to students
who are at least 13 years of age and an experienced modern dancer (3+ years).
Students looking to add contemporary must receive approval from the Contemporary
instructor prior to adding the class.
Contemporary Dance Ages
Contemporary Dance is for ages 13-18.
Benefits of Contemporary Dance
- Increased awareness of musicality
- Improvisation skills
- Enhances fine motor skills
- Sparks creativity
- Exploration of movement that is unique to each individual dancer
- Applying collegiate level concepts
- Pushing past one’s comfort zone
What to wear for Contemporary Dance
- Form-fitting clothing is preferred
- Baggy t-shirts and loose jewelry are not encouraged
- Hair must be pulled off of the face and neck